Monday, June 12, 2017

A Framing Refresher

I've had a few requests to give the instructions for how I frame my cross stitch, especially after I finally framed my Kitty Kalendar a few months ago. So I placed my order to American Frame for supplies to complete "Quaker Star" by Bent Creek. This is a project I stitched maybe three years ago and it had been in the "finished stitching" box just waiting for the day when I would display it. This is a pretty picture-heavy post, so be forewarned.

I chose a whitewash frame and a narrow red mat. Also in my order was a piece of foam core board for mounting. When ordering your framing supplies, measure and measure again to make sure that you're allowing enough space to accommodate your stitching.

Now here's how I do my framing. First of all, I center my stitched piece as best as I can, measuring as I go, and then I start pinning. I use silk or satin pins (about 1") that you can get wherever sewing notions are sold.
I start out placing the pins about 1" apart, but will add more to tighten everything up. At this point you will notice that I didn't put any batting or anything on the foam core board like a lot of framing tutorials show. This is personal preference. Sometimes I want that padded look, but for this piece I opted to just pin the fabric directly to the board.
Now you can see the edge completely pinned. Hint: you can use a thread in your fabric to line up with the edge of the mat!

As you pin, keep measuring to make sure that your piece is where you want it. Now is a good time to place the mat on top (or the frame if you're not using a mat) to make sure that everything looks centered and nice. Push those pins in as far as you can if you're going to leave them in there.*
Looking pretty centered! 

The above photo shows my stitching pinned all around. Turn your work so you're looking at the back. You have to make a decision now. Do you want to lace your edges or tape them? As a rule, I will only do lacing on a small project. I'm talking really small. So I'm going to tape my edges. Don't yell at me. I saw a professional framer do this. I like this method and I've used it many times.
*I have seen people lace the edges and leave the pins in, but some framers take the pins out. Up to you. I tape and leave the pins in.

OK! It's time to secure your mounted stitching into the frame. I use a Logan point driver to do this. You can also use glazier points. American Frame sends these clip things for this purpose, but I have never been able to figure out how these work. And there may be other good solutions that I don't know about. But I like my Logan point driver. A little too much.
But seriously, this device makes this step soooooooo easy. How many points you'll use is dependent on the size of the frame. You be the judge. I bought my Logan driver at Hobby Lobby (use that coupon!). You can buy point refills there or on Amazon.

I cover the back with some brown craft paper. I cut it about a half inch larger than the frame back opening and simply glue it on. Brush the glue on with a paint brush. You don't need a lot. Then I lightly spray the paper with water. When it dries, it will tighten up.
Put on a hanger of your choice, like a saw-tooth, and you're done!
What do you think? Pretty nice, huh? It's all ready to hang up for the July 4th holiday, but I'll probably leave this up all of the time.

Some things to think about. I didn't use any kind of glass or plexiglass for this framing project. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If you use glass, and don't use a mat, you will need to use spacers to make a space between your stitching and the glass. You don't want the stitching in direct contact with the glass. If your stitching has any kind of buttons, jewels, or beads on it, you have to make sure that you'll have enough room for them if you're using glass.You may have to use more than one mat or use spacers AND a mat.

This tutorial is intended to give you a general idea on how to do basic framing. American Frame is the company I order framing supplies from. There are many others. Look around. Find one you're comfortable with. If you have specific questions, contact them. They may have suggestions that I did not give in this tutorial. It's always great to learn something new! The whole idea here is to do your own framing, save a little money, and have a finished product you'll be proud to display!

9 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Cathy. I do it very similar. I measure constantly too. Does American Frame cut the foam board for you? That is what I have the most trouble with. And does this company make custom sizes? I love your stitch and you did a beautiful job in framing it. Have a great week. RJ at stitching friends forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Frame does cut the foam core board for you. They do custom sizing. You can go to their website and see their ordering process (choosing frames and mats, and entering measurements) without actually ordering anything. You'll even see a mock-up of the frame and mat together.

      Delete
    2. Oh this sounds great. Thank you, I will definitely check it out. RJ

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the helpful tutorial.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an excellent tutorial and very professional finish. I'm going to finish my next product this way. I like how your brown paper backing has stars on it too!! Sweet stitch that looks lovely framed. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately that was the last of that cool star paper! Wish I could find some again.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I am sure I will be referring to this post again in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your tutorial. Thank you for sharing it and the frame company you use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting this! I have a piece I need to frame for a gift, and I will be using this to make sure it looks good and is well done!

    ReplyDelete