Monday, February 6, 2017

Following Instructions Pays Off!

Stitching pretty Christmas ornaments is fun and rewarding, but you have to do something with them when the stitching is done, right? I mean, they're not doing anyone any good packed away in the "completed stitching" box.

I've finished stitched Christmas ornaments before, but never thought they looked as good as they could. So I took an informal "class", meaning that I devoted some time to watching (and paying attention to) a Youtube video by Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher. This particular video is called "Floss Tube Finishing School - Pillow Ornament W/Cording.  Going into that "completed stitching" box, I found exactly what I needed - my little finish of "Cardinal Winter" by Little House Needleworks.

And here's the result of following all of the steps provided in this tutorial.
There's just something about finishing an ornament that's so satisfying. It's like a "look at what I did!" moment. And now I can actually use my stitched piece for what it was intended - an ornament!

Adding cording that you made yourself is an extra added touch. It's easy to make when you have a Kreinik Custom Corder. This little device allows you to take ordinary embroidery floss and make your own custom cording. 
Yes, it's easy, and yes, it works. Just look.
And even though I tried very hard to be a good student, I did have a bit of an issue. My cording came out too short and I had to improvise a bit for the hanger. I probably just didn't measure correctly. That's where that "measure twice and cut once" advice comes in!

Vonna's video is easy to follow and very detailed. You'll learn all of the tips needed to make a beautifully finished ornament. And she shows you how to make the cording. It's all there, from start to finish. So give it a try. Go on. You will be glad that you did.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the super cute finish Cathy.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute ornament. I've never tried to make my own cording before. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your kind comments and review on my tutorial. It takes a lot f time too make them, but it satisfying for me when I see someone successful. I don't hear often from people using them, so I'm glad I saw your post.
    Your ornament is beautiful. Congratulations! Stunning good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ornament did turn out nicely! I need to work on my patience and actually force myself to sit down and watch a few tutorials. I always fuss over attaching the trims.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just used that very same tutorial to make an ornament! It's so clear isn't it? My cording wasn't perfect either but I know where I went wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute, you did a great job.
    Congrats on your finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following tutos & instructions is a great way to learn & gain experience! Now all your finishing will look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ornament is fabulous Cathy.... the cording really finishes it beautifully and because you made it yourself the colours are perfectly coordinated! Yay! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ornament looks fabulous. I love your "peppermint stick" cording. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great finish! And with a new tool, fun!

    ReplyDelete