Sunday, September 23, 2012

One Stitch Day, Two Finishes

Yesterday began the new phase of Stitch Days for the Sisters In Stitches.  I previously told you that our favorite cross stitch store, The Stitch Store, was closing and we had to forge ahead and make decisions about how to keep our happy group together.  We determined that the best thing to do for the time being was to host Stitch Days in our various homes.  We're all set for the rest of 2012.  I was glad to host our September Stitch Day. 

So our group spent the day stitching, talking, laughing and eating, just like usual!  All that was missing was Terrie (who has moved away, but will join us for our twice-a-year retreats), and shopping.  But as someone pointed out, they could have shopped in my bountiful stash collection.  And the readers of this blog would agree, having seen part of the colossal cross stitch compilation.  All in all, I think our day went well.  Well, except for the little incident involving the bad behavior of one of my cats.  We won't go there. 

Like always, everyone was stitching beautiful projects.  I will have to get into the habit of taking pictures of their WIPs each month.  There was a finish, which is always good news!  Sheila completed her "Daily Life - Garden Daily" by SamSarah Design Studio. 
Sheila thought out of the box for this one, using DMC and Weeks Dye Works #5 Perle Cotton on 10-count Tula fabric.  It resulted in a very pretty, rustic, chunky-stitch look which will look great framed.  The photo honestly doesn't do this finish justice.

I also had a finish, although not technically during the actual Stitch Day.  Later in the evening I completed "La Fleur" by Sweetheart Tree.  All I had left to do were a few stitches, a quick pressing, and then sewing the tiniest buttons I've ever seen onto the piece. 

I'll be finishing this as a pin cushion.  I have enough of those crushed walnut shells left since I had to buy a gigantic bag and only used them for one project.  So stay tuned.  It should be a cute finish. 

7 comments:

  1. Hello

    Your stitchy day sounds fantastic!
    Two lovely finishes there!
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy:

    Love the finishes by you and Shelia. They are really pretty! Tell all the ladies I said hello. Would love to meet with you all again sometime. You are such a great group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great stitching day. Now, where do you buy crushed walnuts from? I have yet to source any in Melbourne. I tried saving them from when we ate walnuts but the shells all went mouldy! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the crushed walnut shells at the pet supply store. They were in the aisle for pet bird supplies. I don't really know what birds do with them!

      Delete
  4. Cathy, thank you so much for being such a great hostess. I enjoyed myself very much - and look, I even figured out how to comment! I love your red, white, and blue piece. It is very cute. What a good day for the sisters. See you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty stitching and how wonderful that you are so close to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful news - keeping the Stitch Group kept alive. I would hate to give that up - Love your use of La Fleur - purchased this floss because I feel in love with it after reading your blog - not sure yet how I will use it - Your is beautiful

    ReplyDelete