Monday, March 13, 2017

Finished Stitching Finishes

Several weeks ago I received an email from a blog follower who is interested in stitching Just Nan's "Jasmine Mix". She had seen my post about this particular chart and inquired about the colors used. Because I don't have the chart anymore, I had to open my "finished stitching" box and look at the finish itself. I think I answered her questions in a satisfactory way, but the process of looking through the finished stitching box got me thinking. And the main thing I thought was "Why don't I do something with these finishes?!".

So I started with "Jasmine Mix".
Turning it into a pin cushion was a fun process. I ironed some interfacing onto the back of the stitching, sewed on some backing fabric, and then filled it with crushed walnut shells.
After hand sewing the opening, I ruched some sheer ribbon and then sewed it on all of the edges. Here's how I ruche the ribbon: I hand sew a running stitch right in the middle of the ribbon and gather as I go, knotting the thread once in a while. I keep the ribbon on the spool as I go and keep measuring as I stitch. The ruched ribbon gets sewn on by hand with matching thread.
I'm happy with the result and am glad that a random email spurred me on to finish a completed stitching project.

The next project I tackled was FINALLY framing Val's Stitchin' Stuff "Kitty Kalendar". About time, right? I've had this done for, well I don't know how long. I've also had the frame for it and had designated it's place on the wall a long time ago.
The frame is from American Frame. They will custom make frames so that you can frame it yourself!
This little cutie now hangs in my craft room exactly where I've been picturing it hanging!

I am so glad that I received that email because it made me look at all of the finished stitching I have and inspired me to do something about it! There are more pieces in there and I plan to frame or finish them as well. Now my question to you is: Do you also have a collection of completed stitching pieces that you haven't done anything with? Or do you turn them into framed pieces (or pillows, ornaments, etc.) as you go?

15 comments:

  1. Those are two great finishes. Now I have a question. How do you mount your stitchery for the frame. I want to frame one of my finishes, but the cost is quite expensive. Thanks for the recommendation of American Frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order a piece of foam core board to fit the frame. I use silk or satin pins and pin the cross stitch to the edges of the foam core. Then I tape the excess fabric to the back of the board. Some people lace the fabric after pinning. If you're using glass over your stitching, use spacers so that the glass doesn't touch the stitching. I use a Logan point driver to secure the piece into the frame and then cover the back with craft paper. If you look online, there are many ways that people do their framing. Check out Youtube. Framing it yourself does save a lot of money, even when you have your frame made.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the information. I several items to be framed. I appreciate your answer.

      Delete
  2. Great finishes Cathy.... I love the little pincushion.... to pretty for pins! The framed piece is lovely too. I tend to make my finishes into something as soon as they are finished.... I like to tie up loose ends!! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finishes Cathy. I have over 150 pieces stitched buy am not a finisher. I can frame smaller pieces but cannot sew.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous FFOS! You did a great job of them. I'm always in awe of stitchers who can frame their own work.
    I have a huge pile of things to be finished. I don't have much confidence when it comes to finishing so I just sling everything into a basket out of sight! I wish I could say you had inspired me, but...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on both finishes, the pincushion is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your finishes, especially the Jasmine Mix! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finishes.
    The ruching is so pretty, and love the cats!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes! The pin cushion is sweet and thanks for the tip on the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great finishes! Now I'm feeling guilty about all mine .....maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and just work on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I love how you finished it into a pin cushion! And the cats are purrfect!
    I have a lovely German tin box which holds all my finished pieces, waiting for me to decide what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them both, Cathy!! I know that Just Nan piece must have taken a while to stitch with all those color changes--it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finishes Cathy! I need to take a page out of your book and go thru my pile of finishes to see what I can finish all the way! I love the pin cushion and THANKS for all the instructions, they will truly help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pincushion. Love the colours in the JN design. I am pretty sure I have this one in my stash.
    I am trying to have regular Finishing Sundays to try get caught up with the backlog of finishing!

    ReplyDelete