Friday, June 24, 2016

A Little Bauble - Pinterest Project For June

I really like the idea of "floating necklaces".  They just have a light and airy look, especially for summer.  So when a tutorial for one popped up on Pinterest one day, I took it as my opportunity to learn how to make one.  This project comes from the blog "A Little Love Everyday!"

It seemed especially easy, using pretty basic materials - wire, beads, and a clasp.  This one in particular was done with two strands of wire, which would secure the beads to give the necklace its floating look.

Here's what I came up with:
I like it, but my necklace refused to do the alternating bead thing that the tutorial shows and describes.  Look at the next photo (from the tutorial) and see how the blue and white beads alternate?
Not my photo.  This is the photo shown in the tutorial.  Pretty, isn't it?
In one bead set, the white bead is on the bottom, and in the next, it's on the top.  Then they alternate.  I like the way that looks, but my bead sets of three refused to do that.  I'd get it right, and the next thing I knew, they were jumping back to what THEY wanted to do. 
Talk about stubborn. 

I used 6mm faceted beads in a blue/purple blend color, and 6mm beads in silver-lined clear.  If you look closely, you'll see that I used a mix of faceted and non-faceted silver-lined beads.  I had to roll my eyes at this goof because I didn't even notice it until the necklace was finished.  I figure that if I didn't notice, then not many people would either.  And if they do, they'll just think I was being artsy.  Yeah, that's it.

Would I attempt this project again?  Yes, but I would try it with a heavier gauge wire.  Maybe that's my problem. I used .012", 12#, 7-strand beading wire.  Also, I could possibly use lighter weight beads.  Or less beads.  That's the fun of jewelry making.  You can create and re-create to see what happens.

I have worn this necklace and will continue to because I like the way it turned out.  No matter that it doesn't look exactly like what I was attempting.  Thanks to "A Little Love Everyday!" for this tutorial.  You can find the tutorial HERE.  Try it, have fun with it, and see what you can do!

5 comments:

  1. I actually attempted this technique in a bracelet. I had the exact problem you did. I could never get the beads to alternate. Never did figure out what was wrong. I had very little time cause it was for my DD's wedding so I just strung my own pattern. I do plan on attempting it again. Your necklace if beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your necklace turned out great, Cathy. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your necklace is beautiful, even if it IS misbehaving! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really pretty! I'd never have known it didn't line up the way the pattern does.

    ReplyDelete