Friday, October 30, 2015

October Pinterest Project: A Little Christmas In October

I'm extremely happy with the way I've been keeping up with the monthly Pinterest Project attempts.  And most of them have been successful!  I may keep this little project up in 2016.

This month, I looked ahead to Christmas.  It's always nice to do some crafty holiday things way before Christmas.  Let's be honest, if I don't have my Christmas projects done before December 1st, they're probably not going to get done.  Once December starts, the time passes like a flash until the 25th. 

So my Pinterest inspired project this month was Folded Fabric Ornaments.  I found this tutorial on Pinterest, and the creator of it is Crouton Crackerjacks who has many videos on Youtube.

Look at what I made!  It's a simple sewing project that can be done probably in about a half hour or less if you're a fast sewer and don't get distracted by things in the drawers of your craft table.  Ahem.  It's a very good tutorial, with clear instructions.  When you look at the video you may be surprised that this little square started out as a 7-1/2" circle.  It's all in the folding.

Funny story about this.  In the video, he suggests using contrasting fabrics, a light and a dark for contrast.  So I go off to Joann with a coupon in my hand, or rather, on my phone.  I'm so tech savvy.  They already had a very good selection of Christmas fabrics, so I was sure I'd find something good.  The first one I found was the off white with gold snowflakes.  I put it into my cart and looked for a darker fabric which I located quickly.  Then I saw more fabrics on the other side of the aisle!  As soon as I saw this red and gold holly leaf fabric, I grabbed it and put the other one back.  When I got home and began my fabric cutting while watching the tutorial, I realized that these 2 fabrics were the EXACT SAME ONES used on the video!  This was totally unintended!  I honestly didn't pay attention to the detail on the fabrics when I first watched the video, just recognizing that one was dark and one was light.  Wow, weird, huh?

I would pronounce this Pinterest inspired project a success.  It only required two circles of fabric, a sewing machine, needle and thread for a little hand sewing, a button or decoration for the center and some thread for a hanger.  I used a gold metallic.  And the easy to follow instructions were a plus.  I think that if I made more of these, I would get them done faster now that I have the hang of it.  I could also see doing the cutting and machine sewing of a bunch of these, and then sitting down in front of the tv to do the rest. 

So get some fabric and get sewing!  What excellent little gifts these would make!

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely Christmas ornament Cathy and I love the fabrics you chose! Pinterest is a great source of inspiration! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute cute. Fabrics are perfect. Love the coincidence of yours and the ones on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty ornament. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been away from blogging for awhile - Very interest in your Pinterest Craft project -- sounds like a lot of fun... Love your Ornament

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really pretty, I think I shall have to have a go at one of those

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever & it looks lovely!! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete