Saturday, June 15, 2019

Holey-Moley! This Really IS A Thing!

This may be the most unusual blog post I've ever written, but I'll keep it relatively short. I've been noticing little holes in the front of my shirts near the waist. This has been going on for quite a while, and I could never figure out why this was happening. I got pretty good at mending these holes and can say that I had better luck on dark color shirts or shirts with a busy print. The mended spot on light color shirts pretty much scream "look at me!".

One day a couple of weeks ago, I was being particularly domestic. I put dinner in the crock pot, baked a loaf of chocolate banana bread, and did a good clean up in the kitchen. When I finally took a break, I looked down and saw a bunch of these little holes in my t-shirt. They weren't there earlier!

What?!! I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I Googled "why are there tiny holes in my shirt?" and couldn't believe how many articles came up! Here's one of them. Other people actually had this same issue. They questioned whether their wash machine was the culprit, or maybe it was sneaky moths. One mom thought that it was from her toddler's shoes when she carried him. How about seat belts? I always thought it had something to do with leaning up against the counter top in the kitchen and have felt the underside edge of it to see if there was anything sharp there. Nope.

Here's the issue. When you're a particular height and your waistband hits the counter edge, your shirt rubs against the button your pants resulting in a hole. This mainly happens in lightweight knits. As it turns out, I am that very particular height for this to happen. The article I linked above has hints on how to prevent this from occurring. There are even little covers for your jeans button. My solution: I tuck my shirt into my jeans in the front when I'm working in the kitchen. Some might say that this is trendy; on me it looks ridiculous. But I don't care if it will save my shirts.

I hope you liked this little public service message. I know it was kind of strange but I felt I needed to get the word out. Oh and that chocolate banana bread was delicious. I really wish I had taken a photo of it, but here's the next best thing: The Recipe! 

Enjoy! I'll get back to our regular programming soon. Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting, thanks for the warning, and the recipe!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's where the holes come from! I've been having the same problem with my t-shirts. Thanks for the post...now I know how to stop that from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very frustrating for you in the kitchen Cathy!! I suppose tucking your shirts in is not the end of the world. I have always made my banana bread with chocolate chips instead of walnuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I’ve not had the problem with the holes, but if I do I’ll know what to do about it now! Tee hee! Thanks for the gen!
    The recipe looks delicious!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just so interesting! I have those tiny little holes at the front edge of a lot of my T shirts and blouses. I always put it down to pins catching when I was quilting..... although I didn't really believe it and now I know! Thank you.... I'll tuck my shirts in too!!! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhh...so now I know! My son's shirts get wrecked with these little holes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, now you know it isn't moths or your washer! Glad you found a solution! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness ... thank you for sharing this. I have been having this issue A LOT in the last year or so. I wondered if it was something like that, so good to know exactly what is causing it! ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete