Friday, July 27, 2018

Sew Fun!

I have a confession: I really don't like to sew clothes. I used to. In high school and college I sewed many of the things in my wardrobe. But I do like to sew, and use my machine a lot for other little projects like project bags and totes. Recently I found a like-new sewing machine for sale online, and after doing some research, I found out that the price was right and it had only been used once! I'll take it!
I already have a sewing machine, but it's pretty basic. This one is computerized and has many features that I know I'll use. So time to try it out!

One of the first things I wanted to make was a project bag. I had watched Calico's video on Youtube for a vinyl-front bag. Her idea for the bag was inspired by Dina at Making Life Count on Youtube. I like both of their instructions, but decided to go with Calico's. Here's what I came up with.
The vinyl was a bit of a challenge to sew with, but Christine (Calico) gives you some tips on how to handle it. My edging is a bit wonky, but I will say that the zipper portion of this bag is super easy. I like how it turned out and love the summery fabric. Yes, I will make more of these. I figure that practice makes perfect.

I had some of that cute paisley fabric left, so I sewed some scroll rod covers for my Rola Frame.
I used instructions from Tricia The Left Handed Stitcher on Youtube. It's a good tutorial. Just stick with it if you plan on making some of these. The video shows measuring instructions after the sewing instructions so just stay tuned.

Next, I wanted to try a really easy basic bag. I found Na T's Zipper Bag Sewing Tutorial on Youtube and thought it looked pretty easy. The beauty of this bag is that it has no raw edges showing on the inside. (Neither did my vinyl fronted bag, by the way). I used fabrics that I had in my stash from other projects.
This one has a basic top zip. I wasn't sure what size fabric to use, and my bag came out kind of square. It'll work though. I added interfacing to give the project bag more body. Next time, I might use some fusible fleece. And maybe try to make it a little more rectangular.

I'd say that I gave my new sewing machine a good trial run and have some more projects planned for it. I've also used it to edge some cross stitch fabric. All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Thank you for all of your comments on my last post. I still can't figure out what's wrong with my commenting abilities. So if I subscribe to your blog and you don't see comments from me, it's because I simply can't. Again, some blogs let me comment and some don't. No rhyme or reason. Also, I found out that I can't do replies on comments on my own blog!! 

So I'm going to answer Mary's question from my last post right here. Mary, here's how I do my stitching rotation: I stitch on one project for about three days, and then I switch to the next one and stitch that one for three days. And so on and so forth. If I have something that I really want to finish, I'll add it to the rotation more often.

Thanks for all of your comments! I'll be answering any questions right here in my blog. And meanwhile, I'll try to figure out what the deal is with my commenting ability. I hope you'll come back to visit and see what I'm up to.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you scored on that machine!
    Have fun with it.
    Your bags are pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you with the new sewing machine Cathy! What wonderful new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous use of your new sewing machine.... which looks like a great buy! Have lots more fun with it! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like sewing, but I can stitch straight lines... sort of.
    Your bags look great, the sewing machine was a smart purchase! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stitching projects! Makes me want to watch YouTube so I can make some of those fabric project bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have been a busy bee! Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete