Monday, May 28, 2018

May WIPocalypse - Mini Maynia

As many of you know, May is the month of Stitch Maynia. I have to admit that I hadn't heard of this event until very recently and when I did, my first thought was "WHAT?? Start 18 new projects??!!" But then I learned that stitchers decided for themselves how many projects were doable for them personally. I did hear that some were starting 31, one for each day in the month!

I came up with my own plan. I would start 5 new projects, because May is the fifth month. Made sense to me because it was something I was totally comfortable with. Here's how it went: I started a new project on the first of the month, then after that, I started one on each Monday of May.

My first of May project is Lizzie Kate's "Coffee Time". I'm stitching the "But First Coffee" design which I will put into my coffee pot trivet frame. I'm stitching it on 30 count Tin Roof linen. I know that once I get back to stitching this one, I'll finish it quickly.
Next, I started "No Bees No Honey" by Birds Of A Feather. I've had this one kitted up for some time. It's being stitched on 20 count Lugana in an off white color. I kitted it up with all DMC and decided to leave it that way. I did make a mistake by attempting to use two threads on the 20 count fabric. No. That doesn't work. So it's one over one and it's turning out nicely.
That little bee skep is so cute and the coverage is very good with one thread.

The next Monday was time to start the Little House Needleworks "Farmhouse Christmas" series. I'm stitching them individually on the recommended fabric.
I know that a lot of people are stitching these, and you've seen them a million times, but just look at this. So cute. And that Classic Colorworks "Cherry Cobbler" thread is my new favorite.

On Monday #3 I started "Quaker Diamonds" by Rosewood Manor. I'm stitching this on 32 count Flax linen and using overdyed threads. I received a silk-to-overdyed conversion from a fellow Flosstuber.
The color conversion seems to match the silks very well and the colors are amazing!

Today is the fourth and last Monday and I will be starting "Salute To Abigail" by Blackbird Designs from their book "Sweet Land Of Liberty". If you like patriotic stitching, please take a look at the patterns in this book! Each one is gorgeous. I will begin stitching it on 32 count R&R linen in Mink. I have converted the silks (called for) to overdyed floss.
These colors will work extremely well for this pattern and the bonus is that I had them all in my stash!

I really liked my version of Maynia. It was in my comfort zone and each new project was something I wanted to stitch. The biggest problem I had was stopping stitching on them to start something new! It was difficult to put each one down! Now my WIP collection is up to 15, which is something I never thought I'd do. But the more the merrier I say!

My plans for the next month are to work on (and maybe finish!?) some smaller projects like the Snowflower Diaries "Joyful World" July and the Lizzie Kate "Coffee Time". I'd love to have some finishes at some point soon!

Question of the Month: Where do you love to shop for stash? Sadly, there are no cross stitch shops near where I live. I would have to drive probably several hours to get to one and it would be in a different state! I really depend on online services for all of my supplies. My favorites are: 123Stitch!, Stitch And Frog, and Cross Stitch Felicity. I also like to shop on Etsy and have just found The Cottage Needle there. In addition, when we travel, I always look to see if there is an LNS wherever we will be. I was so lucky to visit Dyeing To Stitch in Virginia Beach, VA this month while on a trip. And yes, I did my share of shopping there!

Thanks to Melissa at Measi's Musings blog for organizing the WIPocalypse! If you'd like more info, just visit her blog.

Thanks for visiting! I love all comments. Please visit my Flosstube channel "CraftyCat Stitcher"!

6 comments:

  1. Oh what fun projects you have going. I really, really love Salute to Abigail. I do not have a LNS either and usually turn to 123 Stitch and ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good idea for Stitch Maynia.
    18 or 31 are WAY too much for me!
    I know I would end up with a pile of UFO's! LOL
    All of your new starts are pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely projects you started during your version of Maynia! From what I have seen and heard, there were many different versions of stitch Maynia out there. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched your Maynia wrap up this morning! I'm in love with the trivet idea for the Lizzie Kate and I'm happy to have a closer look at Quaker Diamonds, wow is that pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think five is a very reasonable number to pick! 31 is way to many ;) You have some great new starts there and Quaker Diamonds is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to see you working on Quaker Diamonds as well - great idea to substitute the threads too, the Valdani floss is dreadful :/ Your other projects are all lovely too - looks like great progress for the month :)

    ReplyDelete