Friday, June 6, 2014

There Is A Point To This Post

Have you, as a stitcher, ever wanted to do "frame it yourself"?  Framing something is the finishing touch to a stitched project, and it allows us to display our work.  Professional framers do a wonderful job of fixing up our stitched pieces with coordinating frames and specially cut mats, but we all have to agree that it is expensive.  I've taken in my cross stitch to be professionally framed several times -- for gifts, or if the piece was large.  Over the past few years, however, I've been doing most of my own framing.

My favorite place to get a custom-cut frame, mat, mounting board, and plexi-glass is American Frame.  I've mentioned this company in previous posts and talked about how pleased I am with their selection and service.  A box from American Frame contains everything you need, including framing hardware, all well packed.  One thing that mystifies me to no end are the spring clips to secure the piece in the frame.  I know what you're supposed to do with them, but they need to be screwed into......something.  Okay, I just don't like them.  So Mark has been helping me with this step by installing those little glazier points into the frame with a screwdriver.  This isn't easy, especially with a hardwood frame.

To make this step easier, I'd been researching point drivers and finally purchased one.  The model I bought is the Logan Dual Drive Elite Point Driver.
I finally got a chance to try this thing out last weekend when I was framing a non-stitchy piece.  Whoever invented this point driver is a genius.  First of all, there was only one page of easy-to-follow instructions.  One page!  Next, loading the points was a breeze.  I had expected it to be like my ridiculous big stapler, which has a bizarre, counterintuitive staple loading system.  None of that here!  I loaded those points, adjusted the screw for a harder wood frame and was ready to go!  Then I held my breath as I positioned the point driver and pulled the trigger.  It couldn't have been easier.  And it works!!
The best part is being able to do this step myself.  And you don't have to have the strongest hands in the world to operate it. 
Professional quality, no?
It sure doesn't take much to delight me, does it?  I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby, and I've seen them all over the internet, at places like Amazon, Wal-Mart, and art supply stores.  The price on this point driver was $62.99, but we all know about the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, don't we?  So this can be had for around $40.00. 

So there is my rave review of the Logan Dual Drive Elite Point Driver.  All in all, it's inexpensive, easy to use, and makes me feel like a pretty good (if amateur) framer.

1 comment: