Sunday, June 29, 2014

Some Beadwork For A Change Of Pace

A new bead project kept me happily busy this week.  I recently was introduced to the Auntie's Beads website, and it turned out to be a great source for beads and related supplies.  My first order arrived in my mailbox very quickly.  I placed the order on a Saturday, received notice that it was shipped on Sunday, and when I got back from a mini vacation, there it was. 

It's always an adventure to try out something new in the craft world, so my order consisted of everything I needed to make this bracelet.  OK, so I ordered the wrong Fireline thread, but another quick visit to Auntie's Beads and I had the correct color and weight of Fire Line in a few days. 

The new beads I used (well, new to me) are Miyuki Tila beads, little flat squares with two holes going through them.  I made my own color combination using the Tila beads in metallic silver gray, black seed beads, and 4mm Swarovski bicones in Indian Pink. The directions for this bracelet are right there on the same link -- a complete video showing how to craft this bracelet from start to finish.  And the result?  See for yourself:

The completed bracelet.
Close-up showing the clasp.
Super close-up showing the detail.
If any of you have used Fireline thread before, you know that it's a good strong thread that's perfect for most bead weaving or stringing projects.  I usually use Nymo thread for weaving projects, but am glad that I got to try out this product.  One unusual thing I noticed first off:  I had a lot of trouble cutting the Fireline!  I tried scissors, wire cutters, and clippers and nothing I had on hand would cleanly cut this thread.  Weird.  So I went online and found out that I was not the only one.  A few fellow crafters on a forum suggested plain old kids' Fiskers scissors.  Well, I was going to Wal-Mart anyway, so I picked up a pair for the grand total of $1.47.  And yes, they worked amazingly well, giving the thread a clean cut.  What?!  These little scissors did what several other implements could not.  So now these are my designated Fireline scissors. 

I will say that I would consider this to be an intermediate project, not super-easy or beginner, but also not difficult enough to be labeled "advanced".  This is one bracelet project that I would make again, using different color combinations.  I love beading projects like this and don't seem to do them often enough.  But I do look forward to visiting the Auntie's Beads website again to see what else I can create!

1 comment:

  1. love the bracelet,i like to make things like this occassionally

    ReplyDelete