Monday, July 17, 2023

The Block 8 Conundrum

This blog is a place where I post about all of the crafty type of things that I do. It's heavy on the cross stitch because that's my main hobby, but you'll also see sewing, crochet, beadwork, and whatever else I'm working on.

Today I want to talk about crochet. You see, I've come across a little issue in a project that's currently in my crochet WIP pile. A few years ago, I subscribed to Annie's Block of the Month Stitch Sampler Afghan Club. Each month they sent yarn and an instruction booklet for three crocheted blocks. The initial kit also contained the crochet hooks needed for the project. I chose the beige colorway which is made up of four different shades. The kit even included a board for blocking.

I consider myself a solid intermediate crocheter and this project seemed like a perfect fit for my skill level. So I got started and whipped up blocks 1 through 7 with no problem. In fact, it was a lot of fun watching each one form with its own unique crochet stitch. Let me add right now that there are instruction videos for each block that are very helpful. Until I came to block 8.

Blocks 1-7, and 9, in no particular order
 

Block 8 confused me from the very start. I followed the written instructions. I watched the video. Watched it again. And again. Still my block looked like a confused mess. I asked people who completed this afghan and got some good advice. One person told me to write the instructions in list form (in the instruction booklet they're in paragraph form). Another advised me to skip this one for the time being and go on to block 9. I could go back to it at the end. Someone else said to just crochet this block using the instructions for one I already did successfully in the block 8 color.  

So I went on to block 9 with great success! I will go back to #8 at some point and if it doesn't work, I'll substitute a different one. But I'm asking anyone who is reading this if you've crocheted this afghan, and if you also had trouble with this difficult block. Or is it just me? Please let me know. I will keep you posted.

After I put my crochet away, I decided to do some stitching. 



I've been working on Small Animal Sampler by Bobbie G Designs for quite a while and I'm ready for it to be finished. So I think I'm going to stitch til I finish it. It's being stitched on 28 count black Jobelan with the called-for DMC colors. Only some of the border and all of the backstitching in the border left to do!

Thanks for visiting today and letting me vent about the elusive Block 8. I'll take any advice, even if you haven't crocheted this particular afghan. I plan to be back soon with more stitching goodness. Until then, happy stitching!

Cathy


1 comment:

  1. I hope you can get block 8 resolved.
    I love, love, love the Animal Sampler, it's just so cute.
    Can't wait to see your finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete